Monday, May 28, 2007

48 hours

In an attempt to ensure departure on vacation in 48 hours, I am sitting in the office in the hope I can get enough work done so my mind will be at ease throughout trip. It's not going to happen but it's a nice thought. I plan on sitting here until I can't keep my eyes open, nap, go home, shower, shave, eat, and then head on to a deposition at 11 a.m. Tuesday. Tuesday will be a normal work day and a normal home game that night. Wednesday is light for appointements but will be heavy on last-minute work. The plan is to leave around 8 p.m. Wednesday and drive overnight to sunrise at the Gateway Arch, then westward until distraction overtakes us.

The couch in here is much too comfortable. It is taunting me even now.

I will be playing the MATH in a bit though. Can't let work get in the way of poker.


Little brother and Dad are in France on a four day trip. Today is Memorial Day. Thank you Uncle John Lloyd. The youngest of seven, my father was born in 1929. John Lloyd was the closest brother in age to Dad. He volunteered for the airborne and broke his leg parachuting into Sicily. As his unit was not scheduled to jump into Normandy, he volunteered for a transfer. Dad last saw him a few months before D-Day when he was able to come back to Florence on leave. This is Dad's first trip to his brother's burial site.

John L. Johnson, Jr.

Sergeant, U.S. Army

505th Parachute Infantry Regt, 82nd Airborne Division

Entered the Service from: South Carolina
Died: 6-Jun-44
Buried at: Plot F Row 21 Grave 28
Normandy American Cemetery
Colleville-sur-Mer, France
Awards: Purple Heart

No comments: